[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #413 - 12

Shannen at grolen.com Shannen at grolen.com
Fri Dec 20 00:35:49 GMT 2002

DYou're referring to "the equation" for engine hp?  Yes, you can take out
all effects measured during a coastdown when figuring hp at the flywheel
from hp at the drive wheels.  I do not see a way to remove that same
friction from the wheel hp number using a coastdown without knowing in
advance the mass of the drivetrain components which are coasting down.
Although...  we might be able to determine tire friction by observing
temperature rise in the drums.
People try all sorts of tricks to get more hp to show the buddies.  Like
the guy said, bragging rights are at stake.  And unfortunately dj makes
it far to easy to give a printout with relatively large hp numbers to
take home.  It's fun to see the differences between people who want to
get a big printout vs people who want to know the actual power of the
engine.
Shannen