[Diy_efi] RE: Timing and dyno pulls

Eric Deslauriers eric.deslauriers at oracle.com
Fri Dec 20 00:51:12 GMT 2002

DATA: A 97 M3 gets 2-4mpg less on the highway on 87 octane than 89 or 93.
And you can really tell that the power went away. Note that you don't hear
the pinging, but you do feel the engine back off significantly where it
usually pulls.

There *are* some cars that come stock that actually take advantage of the
higher octane rated fuels. :)

This was a friend of mine's M3 (US spec, 240hp 3.2L, stock).

Ditto my 98 K1200RS motorcycle. It supports 87 octane through knock sensors.
But you can really tell when you're running it (Sometimes, in Nevada, you
gots to take what you can gets).

Eric D