[Diy_efi] dyno comparison

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 20 22:57:16 GMT 2002

--- Nick Starai <true at ItsYourDomain.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm still confused. If I'm using a DynoJet
> 248 with RECENTLY calibrated load control
> option....It cannot hold a load/speed site for
> 1 second or longer?

You don't calibrate the load control off-site.  It's
the mass of the drum that has to be calibrated for.
I'm not familiar enough with using WinPEP with the
eddy currect brake to know if they have a
self-calibration routine that can account for changes
in drum mass.  I know the standard intertial dynos
they make cannot be self-calibrated.

Let me be clear; I don't consider a dyno built as an
inertial dyno but having an eddy current brake added,
and functioning as an eddy current dyno, to BE an
inertial dyno.  That's sort of like taking out a
four-stroke ICE from a car, and replacing it with a
gas turbine, and then making sweeping comments about
how "cars" behave, engine-wise.  When you add an eddy
current brake, and are using the eddy current brake,
you're no longer using the dyno in any fashion
relating to inertial measurement.

When I saw "inertial dyno" in your comment, I assumed
you were talking about why it's not useful on a true
inertial dyne.

>> Tuning is tuning, regardless of the gas you're
>> using.  99% of the machines I have tuned have been
>> on pump gas.

> Of course; sorry, that wasn't my point.

No, no, just clarifying.  When I talk of a race
engine, in the motorcycle world, most often I mean a
blueprinted stock motor.  No special bells and
whistles, just time-honored honing of stock
components.  And the end results are very, very close
to what you would find after working on a stock
machine, right out of the box.  I just wanted to make
that clear, as I realized my comments about race
tuning could be misleading.  In my case, I'm referring
to nothing more than a well-built stock motor almost
all the time.

> I don't understand why Adam says It can't happen on
> an inertial -- eventhough It has the load control
> option...

I didn't.  See above.  :D

Operationally, it's not an inertial dyno any more.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |