[Diy_efi] Timing Advance Curve?

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 21 15:53:34 GMT 2002

At 10:38 PM 21/12/2002 +1100, you wrote:
>According to [my understanding of] Charles Fayette Taylor the peak
>cylinder pressures resulting from the meeting of two flame fronts coming
>from two spark plugs are essentially the same as a single spark point (in
>comparison to pressures of detonation).

Well thats one description, probably a bit simplistic but it stands
to reason that if there is one spontaneous ignition point there
are likely to be others and this may well contribute to the
recognition of a particular phenomena, there may be degrees of
this at many combinatorial levels and prior to that which is
easy to recognise. ie. The issue of so called 'silent detonation'
where the chamber conditions are marginal.
In any case a flame front is not likely to be a simple event, there's
a heap of dynamics going on so who really knows the details.

There must have been people who have used a transparent chamber,
high speed camera, feul additives and spectral analysis to
show up instantaneous pressure events through the whole gamut
of detonation like phenomena, but I aint seem em and know little
of their interpretation :(

>The photographs of combustion in his book seem to show that there is no
>such thing that one could describe as a flame front when detonation occurs
>- the unburnt remainder ignites throughout. I must reread the relevant
>chapters, but I think to say that detonation is a meeting of flame fronts
>is innacurate.

Well it would be an interesting bit of probability to find several
million molecules all deciding to grab their nearest partner at
the same time, no mexican wave... Seems a little bit far fetched,

What seems more likely is a collection of supernovas scattered
throughout the space intervening, with not-exactly purely coincident
events but close enough to agglomerate into messy combustion
affecting the flow of the intitial spark induced flame front,
best analogy I could come up with on Sat night without a date :(

rgds

mike