[Diy_efi] boosted compression ratio

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 22 11:07:01 GMT 2002

At 06:59 PM 22/12/2002 +0800, you wrote:

>Because the detonation occurs in a narrow time window after spark;
>usually after TDC. So you know which cylinder because it's the one
>recently fired.

Yeah just realised - whilst you were no doubt compiling your email ;)

>"Pings" quite audibly at times from low revs, even with Ultimate 98.
>But not on humid days. On a cooler day, with say 80% humdity, it
>feels like the engine is putting out at least 10% more mid-range and
>even more low-end torque than with 50% or less RH. Of course; as it
>gets even colder, it doesn't matter that there's 100% RH; it'll
>still ping.

Well why the heck dont you add a water injection setup and get the
humidty artificially - and you could chill it as well :-)

>> Does this occur at about say 4000 rpm ?
>
>30 milliseconds between sparks; no problem.

The time is not the issue, its the fact that at higher revs there
are all sorts of other things that may 'sum' to way too much
noise floor for effective ping detection...

rgds

mike