[Diy_efi] RE: Timing and dyno pulls

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Tue Dec 24 06:09:38 GMT 2002

I was wondering if cooling system pressure effected the heat exchanged with
all other things being equal, including radiator inlet temps. I noticed no
higher coolant temps (the probe is where the coolant exits the block) with a
19-21 psi cap compared to stock 16 psi.

> Particular engines seem to have a coolant temperature
> that they "like" best for best power.  I know a little
> of the science behind it, but not enough to really
> talk about it seriously.  I'd definitely be interested
> in knowing more about that.

On my car, doing dyno runs with cold coolant didn't change the HP output at
all - although I didn't exactly try and optimize timing and fuel maps for
the cold temps. On the street, I don't see any more knock with the stock
(180F) thermostat than a colder one. Of course this is veeery far from
scientific testing :)

Grant Beaty
'97 Supra T