[Diy_efi] RE: Timing and dyno pulls

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 25 03:58:04 GMT 2002

At 08:41 PM 24/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I've seen that stuff before, sounds too good to be true... What I'm
>wondering is,
>
>a) Why don't OEMs use it? Many less plumbing-related failures seems
>tempting.

mmm, Probably issue of cost of the fluid (in that the margins
are likely to be less in comaprison) *and* the higher viscosity
may mean higher loads on the pump and less power - I dont see how
they can claim more power as the viscosity of the product is 10 times
greater than water from their own table. Also, what happens if
there is a head failure and causes hose to burst spraying this in
the engine bay - chemical damage ? Is it flammible ?

>b) They say it pulls heat away from the head better, how about from the
>coolant -> radiator? If coolant temps can be kept higher, that would
>certainly help.

The nucleate boiling issue may be the only key issue all else being
equal, in that case - why not run higher pressures with an active
system to keep the pressure up.

A friend of mine, replaced the water in his Ford Laser with 100%
ethylene glycol, had it burst and sprayed it all over his engine
bay with all sorts of connector/cable problems thereafter :(
I know this stuff is Propylene Glycol, but whats the effect on
vinyls, plastics and the like ?

rgds

Mike