[Diy_efi] RE: Timing and dyno pulls

M. Claywell clay0052 at umn.edu
Wed Dec 25 05:09:55 GMT 2002

On 24 Dec 2002, Grant Beaty wrote:
> I was wondering if cooling system pressure effected the heat exchanged
with
> all other things being equal, including radiator inlet temps. I noticed
no
> higher coolant temps (the probe is where the coolant exits the block)
with a
> 19-21 psi cap compared to stock 16 psi.

What was the system pressure getting up to? If the system pressure was NOT
blowing off the 16psi cap, then putting a higher pressure cap is not going
to change the pressure that the system gets to, provided the same
temperature. Getting to a certain temperature is the mosst part of what
generates the pressure.

With that said, I would run the highest pressure cap that you feel you can
safely run on your system. For motorcyles I usually buy something over
25psi. Most decent systems on cars and bikes that I have seen tested have
never seem to have any problems going to 35psi or more, and would hold
pressure.

Mark