[Diy_efi] 8:71 Blown Olds 455 using 749 & $58 code

SBrough2 at aol.com SBrough2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 26 11:00:31 GMT 2002

This is a project that we're currently working on.

455 Olds with a mild cam and dished pistons
8:71 Roots style blower with a pair of BBK Throttle bodies on top
30# injectors on a plate between the TBs and the blower (kinda like top hat
injection)

A picture can be seen a Thirdgen.org board under DIY Prom section "749 Blown
455"
You can also read a little history there a s well.

We've got it running pretty darned good. We have some cold start issues but
those shoult be pretty easy to take care of with some enrichment. We have a
fairly stable idle even in closed loop. Throttle response has some tip in lag
and I have it a little better with TPS enrichment but I've not concentrated
on that yet. The current concern is related to observations made while trying
to get a decent VE table set up in the 30 to 40 KPA area. This is "in
neutral" free revving the engine up through the RPM table. At about 2200RPM
and 35KPA the headers start to glow red. I've had timing all the way from
about 25 Deg total to about 40Deg total and get the same results. I forced it
out of Closed loop and added fuel up to about 800MV O2, and got the same
results. Anybody ever have this before? What would make the headers got so
hot?

Thanks
Steve