[Diy_efi] Argon turbo assist.

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Fri Dec 27 18:44:31 GMT 2002

Its been brought up several times about using a jet of highly compressed gas
to spin up the turbo by venting it into the inlet side of the compressor.

Someone is planning to use a slightly richer than stoic blend of nitrous oxide
and propane.  Someone has talked about a fire mans bottle of air.

Personally, I think I like Argon.  Same price about as CO2 at a welders shop.
Same "where the fire hazard question" same - but argon doesn't burn and puts
fires out logic.  The thousand yard stare factor at the duh's is awful high
also.

Part of the battle is that the fire is generally too hot.  Too much specific
energy for the sensible energy available.  Most cases, if the flame could be
cooled without adding fuel by adding mass, the power would go up.  H20
injections works somewhere around this.

Argon is monatomic noble playboy gas.  What happens to argon in combustion?

Glassman - Combustion Third Edition page 30

"Many experimental systems in which nitrogen may undergo some reactions employ
artificial air systems, replacing nitrogen with argon on a mole-for-mole
basis.  In this case the argon system creates much higher system temperatures
because it absorbs much less of the heat of the reaction owing to its lower
specific heat as a monatomic gas.  The reverse in true, of course, when the
nitrogen is replaced with a triatomic molecule such as carbon dioxide"

Soooh.  Adding argon will not drag down the flame temperature near as much as
nitrogen.  Adding 10% argon would not slow the flame down and lower its
temperature near as much as going 10% leaner, and we would be getting 10
percent more gas.  Interesting.

Glassman - Combustion Third Edition pages 548 and 549 Tables 1 and 2

In the H2-O2 Dissociation/Recombination Tables - note that argon replaces M at
a rate at least an order of magnitude faster.

In the hyperoxide tables H02, it again replaces M and the reaction can be
several orders of magnitude faster.

In the peroxide table H2O2 argon replaces M and the reaction is at least an
order of magnitude faster.

Same for the CO, CO2 and HCO reactions.

Soooh.  Now we know that argon gets very active in the basic combustion
reactions without forming a long term product.  Now we know that it is acting
as a "fuel".

For the unwashed, M is "any particle" that is used as a "catalyst".

But then, who would want to spin up a turbocharger with an inert gas in the
intake anyway right?  Probably would have no effect on the corky bell lag
anyway.
Habaneros - Not Just for breakfast anymore!