[Diy_efi] Argon turbo assist.

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Fri Dec 27 20:30:50 GMT 2002

Question: What if you injected Argon gas into the turbo inlet to help spool up?

Seems to me that it would be beneficial since Argon is an inert gas, I wouldn't
think it'd mess up your O2 readings either.  It also doesn't promote further
combustion and could help make the turbo housing last longer for the same reasons
you use it in welding.

Also, would there be any advantage to doing anti-lag on low throttle tip in on
a small motor with big turbo?  Seems to me that would be quicker than letting
the motor make boost.  Perhaps they already do that, I'm not really into turbos
much, but plan on turboing a CBR 600F2 engine for a project car.

I heard the conventional way (at least some rally cars) is to open the TB all the way
and use a stage rev limiter to keep the engine at reasonable RPMS.  Then all you
do is dump the clutch and hold on.  Seems like an interesting premise I could
try with my F2 motor.  BTW, I'm using an '84 Saab 935 automatic turbo; T03 with
.43 AR exhaust housing. After riding my CBR 600F3 I'm gonna be real interested
in how 6000RPM turbo kick in is going to be like on my 49-state F2 motor.  Some
info I've seen puts the F2 motor ahead of the F3 in ways.  Stock they make 100HP
at 10,800RPM, mine should make 150HP there, hopefully with a car/driver weight
of 1100lbs or less.

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin