[Diy_efi] Re: Argon turbo assist.

Dan D'Andrea dan_dandrea at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 30 16:29:04 GMT 2002

>Injecting water into the exhaust upstream of the turbine has the
>equivalent effect of a temporarily smaller A/R ratio turbine
>housing.  It will definitely speed up spooling, at the cost of some
>additional backpressure on the motor.

The idea of using water into the exhaust upstream of the turbine sounds like
a really good idea for reducing turbo spool up times.  I am definitely going
to research this more for my current project (
http://www.j00tel.net/turbo_ek1 ).

An idea that we had to reduce turbo spool time was this, kinda/sorta a
pseudo-VNT idea...

Using a split turbine housing, build a throttle body which allows us to
select either one side of the turbine housing, both sides of the turbine
housing or a varying degree in between.  This should let us vary our turbine
A/R and thus control spool up times.  We would control the throttle body
using our custom ECU and a table, something like RPM vs % throttle body
open.

The details are yet to be worked out but this is the basic idea.

Is there a more approrpriate place to be discussing turbocharging ideas?  If
there were a DIY turbo list similar in activity to this list, that would be
great.

--Dan