MegaSquirt and GNU

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Feb 1 07:54:29 GMT 2002

Bruce Bowling wrote:

> 5) The original goal of MS was to develop a simple and inexpensive EFI
> system. One part of "this" was to prove that the $1,000.00 ECU units really
> only consists of around $100.00 of parts (at the most). I still scratch my
> head when I see MSD 6A  ignition boxes for sale for $135.00, and the
> cheapest EFI system at $500.00+, when they contain almost the same parts.
> Trust me - aftermarket manufacturers know about MegaSquirt, and I would not
> be surprised if we start seeing inexpensive EFI systems (of their own
> design) showing up from them by the end of the year - this is a tremendous
> market. When this happens, then we all win, and the MS system has
> vindicated its existence.

Hi, Bruce.

The support issues with this system could be beyond mind boggling.  Anything has
the potential to be blamed for anything which does not work correctly on the
car.  Even something as simple as the mention of a prom replacement can bring
about a series of complaints.  You'd be amazed, but I've seen header
installations blamed for poor handling, front spring work blamed for faulty
brake lights, starter replacement blamed for poor radio reception, and more.
Electronic components are more likely to receive the blame than others.  Since
they are "mystery boxes" they tend to be the first things pointed at.

Consider that pricing a system to include parts, assembly cost, a fraction of
the r&d dollars plus a reasonable markup would result in a system which many
people could afford to buy.  But a low cost controller designed to be installed
by almost anyone tends to be an invitation for the village idiot as well as
anyone with half an ounce of intelligence to make the attempt.  When the
installation doesn't go exactly as hoped, the first guys to get the call for
help are tech support.

If you are considering selling Megasquirt as an assembled and operable system,
I'd suggest you spend some time looking at the questions fielded by online tech
support systems.  Edelbrock has an archive of tech support questions at
http://www.edelbrock.com/bbs/edelbrock1.html.  At one time Federal Mogul had an
online tech support archive, and I think that Holley had a similar service.  My
advice, as someone who deals with the "general public," is to be sure to price
your product well enough to cover the time which will be spent answering
questions.

I certainly would love to see the prices on these "magic boxes" drop.  It's not
impossible.  Terry Kelly and Tunercat did something very similar to the the
tuner software market.  But it's also just as possible to find that your "modest
markup" is quickly devoured solving ridiculous problems and answering lazy or
thoughtless questions.  My theory is that if the web page detailing the system
is a bit intimidating, and the likes of Hot Rod and Car Craft don't decide to do
a product review, probably 80% of the potential RTFM type problems I've
described will never happen.  But that's just my opinion.