MegaSquirt and GNU

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 1 19:23:19 GMT 2002

At 1:29 AM 2/1/02, Shannen Durphey wrote:
Even something as simple as the mention of a prom replacement can bring
>about a series of complaints.  You'd be amazed, but I've seen header
>installations blamed for poor handling, front spring work blamed for faulty
>brake lights, starter replacement blamed for poor radio reception, and more.
>Electronic components are more likely to receive the blame than others.  Since
>they are "mystery boxes" they tend to be the first things pointed at.

Are you ltalking about the general public, or the lurker/non-contributors
here, Shannen??

The above could describe either pretty handily !!! :-)

>I certainly would love to see the prices on these "magic boxes" drop.

AMEN !!

 But it's also just as possible to find that your "modest
>markup" is quickly devoured solving ridiculous problems and answering lazy or
>thoughtless questions.  My theory is that if the web page detailing the system
>is a bit intimidating, and the likes of Hot Rod and Car Craft don't decide
>to do
>a product review, probably 80% of the potential RTFM type problems I've
>described will never happen.  But that's just my opinion.

How did you get there, given what seems to happen here pretty regularly ??

Witness the recent discussion _right_here_  about home built flow benches.
Tell folks what it's gonna take to do the job_RIGHT_ and get flamed,
laughed at and/or accused of over-engineering things !

But--build one in the dingbat ways that have been "thoughtfully"
propounded, then market it somewhere near cost, and watch the same
parasites caim you screwed them, via tech service (and the list, of
course),  if it doesn't function in a manner equal to or better than and
more repeatably than,, the design they called "overengineered" !!

Greg (You can lead a horse to water, but ya can't make him drink,
particularly if it's the back end of the horae!)