Building a Flow bench

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 2 00:55:20 GMT 2002

At 7:28 AM 2/1/02, Eric Fahlgren wrote:
>Greg Hermann wrote:
>
>> It was 25 or 28 inches of H2O, not Hg, but _BINGO_. Not gonna happen with
>> any standard fan or blower wheel !!
>
>Greg, would it be possible for me to send all my posts to you for
>checking of units first? :)
>
>> If you want to do "off-standard" testing, fine. I was just outlining what
>> would be needed to do _repeatable_ work, on standard.
>
>Isn't this just a matter of instrumentation, not the blower?  If
>I have an accurate means for measuring flow and a good manometer,
>I would think that my means for generating the flow is of no
>consequence.  Now, of course, if I plan to use blower motor current
>or some similar parameter as the means for measuring flow, then all
>bets are off, as you indicate.

Goes a little bit further. Basically--there is no way you are gonna may 25
to 33 inches of H2O pressure air  (33 allows for some ducting and
measurement losses) with ANY kind of a standard fan or blower wheel. You
are going to need multiple (compounded) fans OR, as I said, a regenerative
blower. End of story.

I'm defining testing "on standard" as testing _AT_ the industry accepted
level of pressure drop through the port---

Greg