Turbo for flowbench

marko.cosic marko.cosic at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 4 22:48:52 GMT 2002

I forgot to address the second idea, but again, it will not work without
load.  I mean think about it, with the wheels in the air, how much throttle
does it take to get your engine to redline and how much air are you flowing
to make that insignificant amount of power?

You would need a load bearing dyno to do either of what you mention, if your
going that far.

----

If one were to connect a port to a car's intake system, so that it had to
breathe through it, surely the running engine, even on full throttle opening,
would behave as if the throttle was only open to the equivalent area of the
port?

I don't think the engine would appreciate being run with 25" water backpressure
on the exhaust either.

If the turbo was not pressurising the engine but the flowbench instead, surely
it would be a funny 'hybrid' jet engine - the piston engine being both the
burner and compression stages for the turbine wheel?

I "own" a turbo car, but have yet to get around to getting it running again, and
am not yet driving. I assume from your posts a turbocharged engine only develops
boost when its under load?

My two suggestions for a really off the wall way of getting 'high' pressure,
high-flow air:

Air can be pumped with a centrifugal (spelling?) fan. Imagine: taking an engine,
and somebody who knows the crude basics of designing such fans, and welding
vanes onto the flywheel that are a very close fit into the bellhousing. Now add
a plate over the end of the bellhousing, a very close fit between it and the
vanes, with a hole in the centre to suck through. Now remove the starter motor -
this is your air outlet. Quick flick on a starting handle and jobs good - high
volume air pump. Regulator then needed to bled away excess air to maintain
pressure at 25" water.

Or: 1 engine driving another purely as an air-pump

Or: 1 engine driving several air-conditioning compressors as an air-pump/garage
compressed air supply. I believe the 'York' compressors are the ones that have
integral oil rather than mixing the oil with the A/C gas.

Marko