[EFI] Re: Building a Flow bench

Stephen Andersen SAndersen at advan-tek.com
Tue Feb 5 23:37:50 GMT 2002

Greg,

EIther you messed up a work in your writing, or we will
have to agree to disagree here.

I have a bunch of fan/blower catalogs in front of me for
a project I am working on.  I will agree that getting more
than 5-6" H2O from an AXIAL fan, is not very easy.

However I have beaucoup fan catalogs that indicate that getting
anywhere from 20" up to even 100+" H2O from a CENTRIFUGAL
fan is not a stretch, in flow ranges from 200-100000+ CFM.

I am not saying anything about efficiency here, just simply
the ability to create a given desired static pressure...

Another very efficient option to consider in the pressure range
you are looking at for a flow bench might be a mixed flow fan,
which combines some of the features of axial and centrifugal
fans.

Also, a used roots type blower would work very well (although
perhaps not very efficiently).  DEpending on flow rate required,
you can probably pick one up for a few $100, and as long as
you kept the pressure ratio low, would be able to drive it
with a reasonable (10-15hp) motor for "small" engine type of
flow rates...

Am I smoking crack here, or did you miss something?

Steve