Turbo for flowbench

Bryon Hargis b_hargis at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:37:57 GMT 2002

That is correct, turbo cars won't make boost till you give them something to
work off of, which is waste energy in the exhaust.  Your car doesn't waste
much energy down the exhaust until its under load.

The a/c compressor won't work, as those are for high pressure, but not high
flow. (Ones I have seen anyway) Using one engine to drive another will work,
but is not efficient at doing it (to many moving parts/friction).  The best
choice is the impeller idea.  However, you just described a commercial
supercharger.  No reason to reinvent the wheel.  To get good performance
from a supercharger in terms of high pressure AND high flow, tolerances must
be very close at very high RPM.  I don't think you would get acceptable
results out of something you just rigged up, and you sure as hell would need
to be careful that whatever you made could take being spun up to however
fast.

You could take a junkyard 4 cylinder, mount it to a stand, and spin up a
appropriately sized S/C.  But I don't think it would be economical versus
buying 20 vacuum motors from grainger and setting up a 150 AMP service to
them ($1.2K)

Bryon