[EFI] Re: Building a Flow bench

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 5 20:38:38 GMT 2002

>If it's 25 in/Hg you need, that's around 12.5 psi/1.8:1
>pressure ratio.

It;s not.

>If it's 25 in/water, that's absurdly less, less than 1 psi.

That IS what is used. And it IS an appropriate pressure level for an intake
port test. You DO want some oxoygen to get into an engine, don't you ??

>If you're flowing a head that typically has engine vacuum
>inside, and atmospheric pressure outside, why is 25 in/water
>even remotely enough pressure.  And if it is enough, why is
>is so hard for a leaf blower to do?  It is, after all, less
>than 1 psi.

Most centrifigal fans can only make about 5 or 6 in H2O static pressure
before you "stall" the fan blades !! As I said before, TRY looking at some
commercial fan curves before you run your mouth !!!

What might ""SEEM" intuitively reasonable just ain't necessarily so , not
even because you can type it !!

Greg