Cheap wasted spark upgrade

Joseph Obernberger joelori at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 7 08:23:29 GMT 2002

Hi - I'm working on something very similar.  I used a flip flop instead of a counter, and it worked pretty good, but I had some problems signal conditioning the reluctor signals from the distributor sensors.  Since then I've been told about the LM1815 chip from national semiconductor.  I'm hoping to use
that to condition those signals.
On my car (a 1991 MR2 turbo), the ecu sends out a 5 volt pulse that goes to the ignitor.  The trailing edge of this pulse triggers the ignitor to fire the coil.  The flip flop was setup to convert that signal into two longer pulses that would fire two separate ignitors (twin tower coils/ignitors from an
RX-7).
The ignition signal from the ECU fed the CLK on the flip flop, D1 was hooked to Q1(bar).  R1(bar) was connected to those two distributor sensors (through an OR gate) to ensure the flip flop stayed in sync.
Q1 and Q1(bar) were the outputs to the two ignitors.
You may find this page helpful: <http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/fiat/10/ddis1.html> and
<http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/fiat/10/ddis2.html>  He uses an MC3334P to build an ignitor as well.

                                                    joeo