Turbo for flowbench

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Thu Feb 7 08:31:53 GMT 2002

"marko.cosic" wrote:

> Ideally a V8 with a flat-plane (4-cyl inline like) crank, so you've effectively
> two 4-cyl engines joined together in an efficient manner. Say it was a 250bhp
> engine to start with, then (in simpleton terms) you'd have 125bhp drive and
> enough airflow for 125bhp. Now so long as each inlet port on your tested head
> isn't feeding more than 125bhp, you've plenty of air. (preparing to ahve this
> overly-simple theory taken apart) A simple actuator on the throttle linked to a
> MAP sensor in the driven bank's exhaust manifold could maintain your 25" H20, or
> even a relief valve set to 25" H20 screwed into the manifold.

I still don't see how this would work without some sort of load on the
motor.  Otherwise you'd be running at minimal throttle, and not flowing
that much air.  Now, since we're talking crazy: how about doing the flow
bench tests in the passenger seat (with a large duct coming from the
pumping side of the motor into the cabin) while someone does some
"spirited driving" to load the engine.  Heck, forget that, just fashion
a large scoop to hang out the window with a duct going to the head, and
drive fast down the highway.  With a van or large car I could see having
enough room to do all your flow measurements in the car.  Just vary the
speed you drive to flow different amounts.  Hey, I said we're talking
crazy ideas, right?

Brian