Jaycar 5300 LED display

Crescent Kao crescent at c-speedracing.com
Thu Feb 7 20:30:45 GMT 2002

Hey guys,
  Thanks for the replies!! I finally got the display working! Don't ask me
how, it just started to work all of a sudden and I didn't really even touch
or change anything... I did have to swap out VR3 back to the original 20k
since I couldn't adjust the lower 14.00 calibration point.
  I ran into a problem though... Once Iconfirmed that it was working by
comparing values to my DVM, I temporarily installed the unit and then
powered it up in the car with the WBO2.. it worked flawlessly... I then shut
the car off and a few minutes later decided to try it again.. however this
time the display didn't light up.. so after about 20sec I turned the power
off and took the display apart.

The big 10ohm resistor on the lower board is burned!!! And now when i power
up the unit, some of the LED bars on each digit don't light up (including
some of the bars the vertical LED on the right)!!

However, with the unit still seems to function correctly with the WB02 as it
still fluctates and from what i can read from the display, it still works -
but like I said, some of the bars don't light up now and make it hard to
read.

Is there some way for me to diagnose this? Or should I just replace all the
leds with new ones and replace the 10ohm resistor (would the problem be
isolated to just those components?)... I guess the unit should have been
fused?? Would a 5A inline fuse be sufficient?

Thanks.

Crescent Kao
Director of Marketing and Sales
www.c-speedracing.com