Building a Flow bench

TVS toby at kmvs.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 07:50:24 GMT 2002

> At 3:44 PM 2/2/02, TVS wrote:
> >> Goes a little bit further. Basically--there is no way you are gonna may
25
> >> to 33 inches of H2O pressure air  (33 allows for some ducting and
> >> measurement losses) with ANY kind of a standard fan or blower wheel.
You
> >> are going to need multiple (compounded) fans OR, as I said, a
regenerative
> >> blower. End of story.
> >
> >Yes, I believe it is quite acceptable to test the flow at a more
manageable
> >pressure drop, say 5" of H20 and then standardise the flow rate to 25" of
> >H20. This can of course simply be done by multiplying the flow by the
square
> >root of the ratio of pressures.
> >Toby
> >
> See what I said about flow separation on the short side radius of the
> intake port making things go _VERY_ non-linear.
>
> Greg

Oh yes :-) Was going to add that but you had made a nice job of putting it
into words!
To be honest, I haven't looked into the Reynolds number at ether pressure
drop but I will when I get a chance. But a point about the short side
radius, I'm not saying that flow separation will be the same as a true test
at 25/28 " of H20, but the short side radius still has a huge effect even at
the much lower velocities. The surface ruffnes for example will change the
flow by several CFMs. Infact many of my tests on std heads have followed
David Vizards test with a Superflow very closely.... even if my modified
heads flow less than his ;-)  Toby

TKMVS at Bigfoot.com
http://www.kmvs.freeserve.co.uk/index.html
ICQ 122059845