Turbo for flowbench

marko.cosic marko.cosic at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 8 23:59:15 GMT 2002

OK marko, you build it, I'll come and have a look and maybe port something.

Rgds

Bill

----

I dont know about that - you'll probably find we're on opposite sides of the
Atlantic. I'd be tempted to also try turning the bench into some kind of
garage-vac or dust extraction unit - the vacuum/power is certainly there. That
way it'd be more viable/justiyable on the conscience!

What would it take to turn it into a vac though? As far as I can see, you want a
45gal/220 litre oil-drum, and to have a removable top. You then mount the
motors/vacuum in the lid, with a housing capable of taking a filter-paper. A
simple 80 degree ish elbow in the side of the drum as the inlet to impart a
swirling to the air and jobs good. Obviously you'd only run 3 of the motors when
used as a vac so that an 'ordinary' extension lead could be used. Bricks in the
bottom and some castors and you've a high-power, stable vacuum/dust extraction
machine, that yuo could then plug into a 'desktop' flowbench machine.

With suitable filters on the outlet, there's also the possibility of using the
thing as a high-volume low-pressure (HVLP) spray gun feed too...

I'm beginning to like this. Still, altering the head comes second to being able
to alter the ECU to suit.

Earlier Rover 16V 4-cyls used a Lucas Hotwire Mpi system. If this is easier to
alter a backward step may be in order. Have these systems been altered before? I
shall try to extract some model number info, but the Haynes manual has none.

Marko