Types of Ignitions

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Fri Feb 15 21:46:43 GMT 2002

I must admit to having seen a lot of different theories none of which seem
to agree beyond the fact that you need a spark. I downloaded a number of
multispark patent applications last year which have some interesting ideas,
including some that extend the effective spark by stopping the discharge and
partially recharging, which can be done in around 100uS. But as ever a lack
of any measured data.

I will say that converting my rotary to wasted spark has improved running.
It does also cover up any lean overrun so no more flames out the exhaust and
so it could be said that I have less of an idea how well tuned the car is.

Bill