T/S EECIV setup

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 00:49:36 GMT 2002

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

A buddy of mine   I have been working on a 87 Ford F150 w/a 302
(Fed not California) w/the EEC IV EFI setup on it.  the problem is
that the ECM is pulling all the timing out of it when there is a load on the
engine. It does not appear to do it when you don't have a load   just rev
the motor up.  the first thought was the Knock sensor, but he has bypassed
it with a resistor (don't know what value or anything, someone @ Ford told him
how to do it)   it did the same thing.

Items changed:

Ign Module (with Napa Brand)

CTS

MAT

EGR (it was leaking,   needed it)

ECM

MAP

Items checked:
KS (bypassed)

Fuel pressure (solid)

O2 (responds predictably)

Ign Module (on a checker, as well as replaced with new)

Specifically what he is doing is putting it onto his dyno (IM240 chassis
dyno),   starts to do the normal smog check under power   he noticed
that it pulls all 22 Deg of timing out until it is down to the 10* Base
setting.  if he puts it into Neutral   just revs the motor all appears
good.  one test that I thought was the tell tale was that he removed the
EST (or whatever Ford calls it), bumped the timing up a BUNCH   then put it
back on the Dyno.  He did a pull,   the ECM was not able to pull the
timing out   all appeared to work fine.  the engine still had plenty of
power   it ran............ Well ............... fine.  he moved the
timing back down   plugged the EST back in   the same problem came
back.

Logically, I am thinking "what tells the ECM to pull timing...........
Knock Sensor (Duh), maybe MAT, or MAP   of course the Prom.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. Sorry about the HTML, I am @ work,   this is the only connection I
have.

--- Bob Wooten

--- r71chevy at earthlink.net

--- www.r71camaro.homestead.com

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4912.300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A buddy of mine &amp; I have been working on a 87 Ford F150 w/a 302 (Fed&nbsp;not California) w/the EEC IV EFI setup on it.&nbsp; the problem is that the ECM is pulling all the timing out of it when there is a load on the engine. It does not appear to do it when you don't have a load &amp; just rev the motor up.&nbsp; the first thought was the Knock sensor, but he has bypassed it with a resistor (don't know what value or anything, someone @ Ford told him how to do it) &amp; it did the same thing.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Items changed:</DIV>
<DIV>Ign Module (with Napa Brand)</DIV>
<DIV>CTS</DIV>
<DIV>MAT</DIV>
<DIV>EGR (it was leaking, &amp; needed it)</DIV>
<DIV>ECM</DIV>
<DIV>MAP</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Items checked:<BR>KS (bypassed)</DIV>
<DIV>Fuel pressure (solid)</DIV>
<DIV>O2 (responds predictably)</DIV>
<DIV>Ign Module (on a checker, as well as replaced with new)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Specifically what he is doing is putting it onto his dyno (IM240 chassis dyno), &amp; starts to do the normal smog check under power &amp; he noticed that it pulls all 22 Deg of timing out until it is down to the 10* Base setting.&nbsp; if he puts it into Neutral &amp; just revs the motor all appears good.&nbsp; one test that I thought was the tell tale was that he removed the EST (or whatever Ford calls it), bumped the timing up a BUNCH &amp; then put it back on the Dyno.&nbsp; He did a pull, &amp; the ECM was not able to pull the timing out &amp; all appeared to work fine.&nbsp; the engine still had plenty of power &amp; it ran............ Well ............... fine.&nbsp; he moved the timing back down &amp; plugged the EST back in &amp; the same problem came back.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Logically, I am thinking "what tells the ECM to pull timing........... Knock Sensor (Duh), maybe MAT, or MAP &amp; of course the Prom.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any help would be appreciated.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PS. Sorry about the HTML, I am @ work, &amp; this is the only connection I have.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>--- Bob Wooten</DIV>