Fw: Types of Ignitions

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Sat Feb 16 04:31:05 GMT 2002

If a CDI has to wait a 1msec for the first restrike it's wasting the
chambers time.
By that I mean any decent distributor system can maintain a 1msec arc, none
stop.

In a msec the kernel should be off, lite, and progressing thru the chamber
by then.

This may help.  For a chemical reaction to start is going to take x amount
of energy.   Once that reaction is started, it's pretty much a done deal.
Now, your going to say what about high swirl chambers, well IMHE it seems
that the really high turbulence ones are rather low rpm engines, or low out
put (Generally, yes there are exceptions).  Now the one real problem child
is a rotary.  They are really high turbulence, but they also have a tendency
of needing to be run rich.

Bruce

From: "William Shurvinton" <shurvinton at orange.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Types of Ignitions
> US patent 5,456,241 covers something that should do it. Or search USPTO
for
> Michael A Ward. He spends a lot of time thinking about new ways to light
> your fire.
> Basically if you use an IGBT as the switching element, you can turn off
> before you have fully discharged the capacitor and give it another kick.
SCR