using an analong meter for diy-wb

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Tue Feb 19 22:04:12 GMT 2002

The Vout lead has a 1000 ohm resistor (R15)  to minimize
the chance that a mis connection to it will blow something
up.  For a 10,000,000 ohm meter the 1000 is invisable.  But
for 200,000 ohms you see 1/2 % error.  You could calibrate
your meter to have an extra 1000 ohms outboard to cancel
the error.  In any case the output current is limited to 2 or 3
ma, but taking out the resistor would bring you up to the
amp (U4b pin 7) output limit of at least a dozen ma.  A
"pullup" resistor of 470 ohms, from +8 volts to the Vout
could help the amp double that again to at least 24 ma.

Bruce Roe