555 for MAF

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Wed Feb 20 07:29:33 GMT 2002

I don't like presenting schemes that I don't currently have time to build
and test, BUT. Every home has at least one old scrapper PC. These have a
very nice parallel port that gives 8 outputs, 4 inputs and an interrupt
line. If you hooked a fixed frequency oscillator at the max speed or
resolution that you need, a simplish piece of code would allow you to have
variable outputs, with niceties like the VSS would track the speed and you
could see the ECU commanding gear shifts etc.

Whether it could emulate the fine crank sensor would need investigation, but
thats only about 20KHz which should be well within capabilities.

If the whole idea got out of hand it would require some external logging
boxes with ADC and DAC capabilities, but if you just wanted CAM, Crank, VSS
and a couple of controls and inputs it would not be a huge task.

Bill

NB in a few weeks my '727s arrive, at which point I may start getting
interested again.