Okay, I've got this nice code, now what do I do with it?

Jacob Kooser jake_k at attglobal.net
Thu Feb 21 08:36:12 GMT 2002

I wasn't sure which list was best to send this to.  ECM guys, when you're
through laughing at whatever ridiculously simple point I'm missing, my hat
size is 7 1/4 for the CSH... :0)
I finally have the time to move forward on my Suburban TPI swap, and I
managed to download the data from the '7730 ECM I picked up Saturday.  The
code in question is from the Pontiac J2000 that the ECM came out of (3.1L
V-6, auto, unknown gears).  I used a Needham emp-20 that my company owns to
download the code into my laptop.  With the assistance of one of our
electrical engineers, I got the code out, and tried to open it in winbin,
with no success.  We weren't sure of the raw data format, but we did manage
to get it recognizable (to Bernie at least) by saving it as a .s19 file.  We
then ran it through the C.A.T.S. s2bin program, and here's what we got.  I
didn't realize it was going to rename the .s19 file, but it's okay.  I know
where to get it again.
Right now, it looks like this, except for the asterisks I added and a few
lines I chopped for space:
**************************
 ;      OBJECT FILE: C:\here\Arry.BIN
 ;      DISASSEMBLED FOR THE 68HC11
 ;    BY THE CATS CROSS-DISASSEMBLER
 ;            RELEASE 1.32
 ;       2/20/02
 ;      FILE START ADDRESS:  $0000
 ;      FILE END ADDRESS:    $7FFF
 ;      DISASSEMBLY START ADDRESS:  $0000
 ;      DISASSMEMBLY END ADDRESS:   $7FFF
 ;      PROGRAM LENGTH: $8000
 ;      DATA TABLES:
 ;      START        END           TYPE
        L8000   EQU    $8000
        L8001   EQU    $8001
        L8002   EQU    $8002
**

Is this a useable format for one of the tuning programs, or am I really lost
here?  Win Bin didn't want anything to do with it, either in unmolested
form, or like this.  Said something about path/file access.  I'd have to
download another ecm definition file to use the C.A.T.S. tuner program.  I'm
going to register C.A.T.S. tuner tonight and get the right file for the
'730.  Am I really that far off, or did I just miss something?  Programming
101 starts off with Tables, as does the thirdgen.org tuning page at
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml  I got an AUJP
mempack from the dealer tonight, so I'll start anew tomorrow with that code.
It's closer to where I need to be, and has the right resistor pack for my
5.7L.  As confused as I am, I still feel like I launched the space shuttle
from my backyard. :-)  Also REAL SOBERING to consider what the original
members must have gone through to get this far.  All I currently have to
offer in return is a Pontiac J6000 .bin - once I figure out how to work with
it.  A million thanks in advance,

Jake "one small step for man, one huge leap for big, dumb suburbans" Kooser