expansion of fuel/air mixture

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 21 20:29:32 GMT 2002

At 1:40 PM 2/20/02, Camden Lindsay wrote:
>Hello
>
>I was wondering if there is a common expansion percentage for a fuel/air
>mixture (say at stoich ratio) from pre-burnt to exhaust?
>
>if this type of thing has been covered already, would someone point me
>toward the general date in the archieves
>
>thanks!
>
>camden

Better define what you are talking about better.

For instance, at ignition, there is (ideally) no expansion beccause the
combustion chamber doesn't allow it--so there is a rise in temperature and
a consequent rise in pressure. The rise in temp is determined by the heat
of combustion available and the mass and specific heat of the gas present.
The rise in pressure is then determined by the gas law.

Greg