CPU and hardware advice sought for EFI

Igor Dorrestijn i.k.dorrestijn at its.tudelft.nl
Thu Feb 28 20:11:12 GMT 2002

That is an impressive project, but, if you're going the fancy processor way,
why not get yourself a dedicated engine management chip like the Hitachi
SH7055F or the Infineon Tricore automotive version. Those chips have so many
cool special peripherals you can actually run your engine steady state with
0% processor load.
Your 586 might be very busy trying to fake it is a microcontroller. Not to
mention you might be very busy implementing all these IO functions by hand.
Good luck,

Igor

> Hi All,
>
> I've been pondering this for a while and just thought I'd give in and just
do
> it.  I want a fully managed engine from a single embedded device doing
> everything to run a motor.
>
> Target engine(s):
> Honda 700cc V4 water-cooled from a VF700S Sabre (development)
> Volkswagen 2100cc Type-4 opposed 4, air cooled. (final, ~150 hp target)
>
> I have around 5 years experience doing application level C programming in
> desktop environment -- mainly developer tool and scripting language
oriented
> with previous experience in electronic repair and design.  This is my
first
> embedded/real-time device.  Sounds a whole lot more fun than silly
developer
> tools I do by day ;)
>
> A few weeks ago I was playing around with a Real Time Operating System
(RTOS)
> called MicroC/OS-II [ http://www.ucos-ii.com ] from the author's book.
Cool
> stuff, nice book, gosh I hate assembly...  A friend recommended I have a
look at
> QNX's Nutrino kernel [ http://www.qnx.com ].  It seems to be gaining
acceptance
> in automotive appliances.
>
> Designing is research.  `Search` being the predominant part of the word.
Here's
> what I found for a controller:
>
> http://www.tern.com/586e_data.htm
> http://www.tern.com/p50.htm
> http://www.tern.com/flashcore.htm
>
> SRAM is low, but execution code can run out of a flash card.  P-Mode?
cs:ds