O2 sensor damage?

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Thu Feb 28 20:12:02 GMT 2002

If that light just blips off and back on, your heater was
continuously powered, just not quite enough for operation.
If your warmup time is over 50 seconds, you need to put
some of those parallel resistors across the 1 ohm power
resistor.  Another way to check this is observe the voltage
across the 1 ohm during warmup to operation.  That
voltage will hold at 1.25 volts during warmup, then should
drop back 5 to 20 % (below 1.19 volt) within 30 seconds
of the LED coming on.  If it is too close to 1.25 volts, you
need more shunting resistors.  Maybe we ought to
add this to the testing procedures.

If the above works, but the LED still won't stay on, you
need a bit more voltage.  If you can't  get it from your
present source, try a pair of wires directly to the
battery, or the alternator case and output stud.

There is an outside chance a sensor might be found
exceeding the regulator current capacity;  a 39 ohm 1/2
watt resistor in parallel with the regulator ought to fix
that by adding 75 ma.  Maybe a couple will be needed.
I don't really expect this to happen.

Bruce Roe