Hi!

Eck, Joel Joel.Eck at COMPAQ.com
Thu Feb 28 20:30:30 GMT 2002

Hello, all!

I'm new to the group, this is what I have in the works, as money and
parts come my way:

converting my '78 chevy pickup over to TPI. I already have a 727 ECM, an
'85 or '86 lower intake manifold, '89 to '91 runners and upper plenum (I
don't remember what year GTA the guy had), and a local junkyard that
will sell me parts of wiring harnesses fairly cheap. I know, this should
basically be a cakewalk, as I'm really just re-doing something the
factory did, just fitting it into something they never did, but the time
and money constraints will keep this as budget as it gets. I'm not going
to boost this thing, and I'm sticking with my non-lockup THM350
transmission for now (unless I happen upon a good 700R4 or 4L60 for
cheap)

Converting my '90 Civic wagon over from the funky TBI-type FI it shipped
with over to MPFI that was standard in most other hondas. I also
(eventually) want to convert the harness and ECU over to OBDI specs and
do a VTEC swap on it. I want the OBDI so I can borrow my dad's SnapOn
2500 scanner to troubleshoot any problems that come its way; it doesn't
seem to talk real well to the non-OBD honda ECU (it will show you what
codes the ECU is throwing, but it's otherwise useless.) I'd also like to
convert this one to DIS, Honda distributors are notorious for having
problems, and it doesn't drive the oil pump, like the Chevy does.

I'm focusing first on the truck, though.

I think I already read the answer to this one, but I want to be sure; I
CAN use the TBI, large cap HEI distributor for the TPI conversion? I
would like to stay with the coil-in-cap design; less stuff to locate
(even though I could likely fit an aircraft carrier under the hood of
this thing).

I read somewhere else that the type of injectors Ford used (pintle-type)
was preferable to the type GM used (can't remember what type) - is this
true, and, if so, any ideas what donor cars I should be looking at to
get at least a 25 lb injector in the pintle-type? I'm going to be
testing with junkyard parts.

What style injectors are usually used in GM's applications, Peak & Hold
or Saturated?

Anyway, thanks for the info, everyone.

Joel Eck