CPU and hardware advice sought for EFI

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 20:31:25 GMT 2002

It has been a long time since I looked at any tern SBC boards but the first
number looked like a '586 ?(I didnt have time to check the links)
I know some hardcore assembly programmers are going to go off on me for
writing this but I cant resist...

Are you sure you realy need a 32 or even 16 bit processor? I'll bet you
could use an Atmel Atmega128 running at 16MHZ and acomplish evrything you
need to do with a fraction of the development time and costs.
The ATMEGA will execute 1 instruction per clock which is quite good for most
embedded processors. it would be dramaticly faster than a 68hc11 like is
used in some GM's and even the aftermarket DFI computer(not the v7 its a
68332).
you can get a ATMEGA128-16 (16MHZ) for about 15-16.00 if you shop around.
The STK-500 development board/programmer is only 79.00 and the add on
STK-501(needed for the 128's 64tqfp format and extra features)is a little
over 80.00. You can get quite an array of c-compilers and even AVR-GCC (GNU
C Compiler)for free. There are also some very good Pascal compilers and some
decent basic compilers too. Compared to most other embedded compilers ATMEL
AVR compilers are priced inexpensively.
There are a couple of RTOS for AVR's also but I'll bet that you could get
away without one just by picking a fast compiler.
Obviously assembly is the most compact and fastest running(if you did it
right). But I'd be willing to wager that something like FASTAVR basic on a
ATMEGA128-16 (or even an ATMEGA16 when its available)will have enough code
space and speed to handle youre engine managment system just fine.  And
you'd be driving the thing while alot of guys would still be at the desk
trying to get the TPU working just right (or something like that)on their
68332 based board which will probably never get finished anyhow. Start basic
and add features after you get one thing working right. Like get it to read
the sensors and fire some injectors in batch fire mode first. Then add a cam
sensor and use the built in counters and an interupt or two and get it doing
sequential injection, THEN add in the ignition events and whatever else.
That aproach seems to be working for MEGASQUIRT unlike the "go for evrything
all at once" aproach which is probably what kept EFI332 draging along at a
snails pace for years and only a couple cars ever even started up.

okay now I guess the REAL (assembly) programers are going to have a heyday
with this one. :)

Marvin Fugate (AMATURE 8-bit AVR and PIC embedded fan)