Advice requested for choosing aftermarket EFI system

Robert robert_hiebert at sunshine.net
Wed Jan 2 22:13:55 GMT 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C19306.5F448F20

Hi All,
    I'm trying to decide on an aftermarket engine management system for =
my Motorhome, since I'm not learned enough to design my own, and there =
are several good commercial units available. I have, however designed =
and am currently testing a stand alone controller for the transmission. =
When I've got the bugs worked out of it, the next step is to install an =
engine management system that will allow me complete control of the =
engine.

    The subject is on a '92 Ford Super Duty chassis, 7.5L EFI V8, E4OD =
transmission, 17,000 lb GVW. With the exception of a Banks "Power Pack" =
4 in 1 long tube primary header exhaust and free flow intake system, and =
an "Aurora" high output inductive discharge ignition system, the engine =
is, and will likely remain stock. Ignition pick up is distributor hall =
effect sensor to a remote TFI module. It uses batch fired injectors =
mounted in the individual intake ports, 2 banks, 4 of 24 lb/hr injectors =
per bank.

    Normal operating range is between 1800 and 3000 RPM, but will =
occasionally pull down to 1500, and rev to 3600 to shift.

    This is not a high performance application, but rather a low =
compression ( 8.5:1 ) slow turning engine that will run heavily loaded =
much of the time. The object is to tune for best power under heavy load, =
and best economy at cruise, economy having a slightly higher priority.  =
Emissions issues are not a concern.

    I had originally only considered SDS www.sdsefi.com . They have a =
good reputation, and product support is without equal, but it lacks some =
features I would like, so I've been researching Halltech, Electromotive =
TEC II, and DTA. They are all fairly similar, but are different enough =
that I'm finding making comparisons a bit difficult.

    I'd really appreciate some opinions on experiences any of you may =
have had with any of these manufacturers, as well as what features would =
be best suited to my application. These questions, posed to some of the =
dealers were met with unsatisfactory responses, or no response at all. =
They are as follows.

Given the application;

1 - Is there any advantage in multi toothed crank angle sensors or 4 =
magnet crank angle sensors as opposed to the stock hall effect =
distributor pick up?

2 - Is there any advantage to direct fire, waste spark ( 4 coils ) =
ignition as opposed to distributor?

3 - Is there any advantage to sequential,  "semi-sequential"  ( =
cylinders paired for ignition with paired injectors),  or batch fired =
every engine revolution, as opposed to batch fired on alternate engine =
revolutions?=20

4 - Is there any advantage in tuning for use with 92 octane fuel as =
opposed to 87?=20

5 - Would it be better to use MAP, or TPS for load sensing?

Thanks in advance.
Robert

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C19306.5F448F20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm trying to decide =
on an=20
aftermarket engine management system for my Motorhome, since I'm not =
learned=20
enough to design my own, and there are several good commercial units=20
available.&nbsp;I have, however designed and am currently testing a =
stand alone=20
controller for the transmission. When I've got the bugs worked out of =
it, the=20
next step is to install an engine management system that will allow me =
complete=20
control of&nbsp;the engine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The subject is on a =
'92 Ford=20
Super Duty chassis, 7.5L EFI V8, E4OD transmission, 17,000 lb GVW. With =
the=20
exception of a Banks "Power Pack" 4 in 1 long tube primary header =
exhaust and=20
free flow intake system, and an "Aurora" high output inductive discharge =

ignition system, the engine is, and will likely remain stock. Ignition =
pick up=20
is distributor hall effect sensor to a remote TFI module. It uses batch =
fired=20
injectors mounted in the individual intake ports, 2 banks, 4 of 24 lb/hr =

injectors per bank.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Normal operating =
range is=20
between 1800 and 3000 RPM,&nbsp;but will occasionally pull down to 1500, =
and rev=20
to 3600 to shift.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This is not a =
high=20
performance application, but rather a low compression ( 8.5:1 ) slow =
turning=20
engine that will run heavily loaded much of the time. The object is to =
tune for=20
best power under heavy load, and best economy at cruise, economy having =
a=20
slightly higher priority. &nbsp;Emissions issues are not a =
concern.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I had originally =
only considered=20
SDS <A href=3D"http://www.sdsefi.com">www.sdsefi.com</A> . They have a =
good=20
reputation, and product support is without equal, but&nbsp;it lacks some =

features I would like, so I've been researching Halltech, Electromotive =
TEC II,=20
and DTA. They are all fairly similar, but are different enough =
that&nbsp;I'm=20
finding making comparisons a bit difficult.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'd really =
appreciate some=20
opinions on experiences any of you may have had with any of these =
manufacturers,=20
as well as what features would be best suited to my application. These=20
questions, posed to some of the&nbsp;dealers were met with =
unsatisfactory=20
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Given the application;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1 - Is there any advantage in multi =
toothed crank=20
angle sensors or 4 magnet crank angle sensors as opposed to the stock =
hall=20
effect distributor pick up?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2 - Is there any advantage to direct =
fire, waste=20
spark ( 4 coils ) ignition as opposed to distributor?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3 - Is there any advantage to =
sequential,&nbsp;=20
"semi-sequential"&nbsp; ( cylinders paired for ignition with paired=20
injectors),&nbsp; or batch fired every engine revolution, as opposed to =
batch=20
fired on alternate engine revolutions?</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4 - Is there any advantage in tuning =
for use with=20
92 octane fuel as opposed to 87?</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>5 - Would it be better to use MAP, or =
TPS for load=20
sensing?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Robert</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C19306.5F448F20--