Adding a gas tank return

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Thu Jan 3 19:54:26 GMT 2002

EFI conversions are very popular for us Lotus 7 & copies owners, and quite a
few choose the route of keeping the carby tank and adding a swirl pot to
feed the EFI pump. Main reason is that swirl pots are cheaper than modifying
tanks for those of us who can't weld/live in mortal fear of going pop when
working on tank.

Big cons are  additional weight (cars weigh as little as 400Kg (880Ibs) and
some owners are a little unhinged), 2 pumps to go wrong, not one and the
fact that the swirl pot often ends up in the engine bay somewhere above the
passenger's knees. Some folks get worried about a quart of petrol that close
to their family jewels.

NB none of this really matters if you drive a 'sensible' car, which I don't
;-)

Bill