thermocouple wiring

Jay Wallace jwallace at nist.gov
Sat Jan 5 00:04:32 GMT 2002

Rob,
You are right that it is supposed to be a special wire. However, it
is not the resistance that is important, but the composition. If
the extension wire is not the proper composition you will have
added two new thermocouples (dissimiliar metal junctions where the
extension wire connects to the thermocouple) and erroneous
temperature readings result. This may not be a big effect if the
junctions stay relatively cool and if you are not concerned about
precision (+/- 20 C guesstimate?) measurements. For common
non-noble metal thermocouples (type K, etc) the extension wire is
just the thermocouple wire. Check Omega or others for extension
wire for your type of thermocouple.
HTH,
Jay