Hey my Chevy has Ford Rods !!!!!!

David Hunt bamainc at home.com
Mon Jan 7 20:02:12 GMT 2002

Glen,

Thanks especially for the link to the monte-list.  I looked at the rest of
the site and was especially impressed by the articles on F and G body
springs and body stiffening below the package tray.  I now have two projects
for the spring, neither of which are budget killers and both of which will
(I hope) give tangible results.

Regarding the Hot Rod article.  The article didn't seem to mention it but
the parts list pointed out that the cam was a roller cam, the heads were
aluminum,  the gas was an unknown quantity (no-name I think they called it)
and so forth.  I have an iron headed 69 Camaro that runs just as well on 87
as 93 with a 10.5:1 compression ratio. (And the stock 307 heads with 1.5"
intake valves, or at least that's what they look like)  That's with a 5.7"
rod on a 3.48" crank (I bored and stroked it on the last rebuild.)  I have a
Crane 'fireball' cam 215 degree intake on 112 center.

If I had AFR aluminum heads and a roller cam I bet I'd be near the same
horsepower numbers with the 5.7" rods.  I certainly wouldn't publish an
article claming the rods were the difference without being able to put in
short and long rods and compare the differences.

Ford rods in a Chevy, cute, but I don't see the numbers.  For example, was
the hp corrected?  If so was the correction for high humidity?  If so, then
that alone could account for the ability to use 87 gas.

I just subscribed to Hot Rod for the first time in over a decade.  The last
three issues were warmed over Car Craft and I've read at least three
articles on 'look how much better we are now.'  This is the type article
that caused me to stop reading Hot Rod.  I'll renew my subscription to
Circle Track (although it's not as good without Smokey) but not Hot Rod.  I
believe that the name refers to the editors not the writing.  In my opinion,
this list is more informative ( and sometimes disinformative) than Hot Rod.

I'm still looking for quantitative information on the advantages of a longer
rod. For example, how would one calculate the reduced side loading of a long
rod vs. a shorter rod with appropriate offset.  There is a lot more to a
good engine design than peak horsepower.  I'm not sold yet that a long rod
engine is significantly better than a well designed short rod engine.

Bruce recently pointed out that cars that run 89 octane tend to last longer
than cars that run on 87 octane.  I know that in tear downs the better fuel
cars have less deposits, less core crud (in the water jackets) and .010"
pistons instead of .030" pistons.  I don't have a lot of money and what I
have has to last.  I typically keep my cars for 100,000 miles plus and do my
own engine work.

That's real world and Hot Rod doesn't know real world as it pertains to
working on a car that takes you work as opposed writing about folks that
work on their cars for years. Then there is the concept of writing about
pieces that suppliers give you (and often install and tune and....), maybe
that's the reason everything they install works so well, it keeps the
pipeline open.  Maybe not, but hey, gratuitous writing should be taken into
account.

After all, what is so special about Vic's '57?  Looks pretty normal to me.

All I'm saying is, look at these magazine articles with a grain of salt.
Hot Rod et. al. doesn't sell articles about cars, they sell ad space to
aftermarket manufacturers (and prospective aftermarket manufacturers).
Where are the numbers?  How were the comparisons done?

dh