DIY-WB warmup

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Mon Jan 7 21:59:31 GMT 2002

Wayne,

That flickering is very likely an indication of too little
voltage (at idle) to keep the WB circuit enabled.  A
cig lighter may not be good enough; you could run
a 12 V and ground pair of 16 gauge or heavier
almost directly to the battery or alternator to get the
maximum voltage available.  If the alternator can't
keep up at idle, this may not be enough.

Check the WB voltage at the junction of D5 pin 3
(LM431) and D1 pin 2 (1N4148), relative to the WB
ground (J4-1).  This should be rock solid at close
to 10 volts; if it starts bouncing around (in unison
to LED flickering), you are dropping out of heater
voltage regulation and sensor operation.

Latching the circuit would complicate it and risk
WB sensor damage if a long voltage reduction
were to occur.  Better to fix the wiring.

Bruce Roe