Hey my Chevy has Ford Rods !!!!!!

A79coupe at aol.com A79coupe at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 00:04:07 GMT 2002

In a message dated Wed, 9 Jan 2002  1:27:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, "elcamino73" <elcamino73 at mindspring.com> writes:

> I think you are incorrect. The piston dwell time is the same at top or
> bottom.  Dwell time will be longer with longer rods.
>  It will do so by moving faster between the two points.

That is why I went to the extreme (tho unworkable)example.  With a 3 inch stroke and a 1.5 inch rod,  when the crank is at 90 degrees, the piston must be at the bottom of the bore.  The rod must be parallel with the crank throw after 90 degrees, cuz they are both the same length.  In this example, the piston would not move up until the crank is at 270 degrees.  Therefore the dwell at the bottom of the bore is 180 degrees, and the complete travel of the piston up and down is completed in the other 180 degrees.

This extreme example shows that the shorter the rod, the longer the dwell at the bottom of the stroke (or in other words slower piston speed) and therefore a higher maximum piston speed to complete the remainder of the stroke for any given RPM