Hey my Chevy has Ford Rods !!!!!!

Clint Corbin ccorbin at spinn.net
Tue Jan 15 00:05:35 GMT 2002

It's geometry guys.  A long rod WILL increase the dwell time at both TDC
and BDC.  And because the piston spends more time at the top and the
bottom, it WILL be moving faster between the two.  I think it is pretty
safe to say that if any rod combo is "yank"ing the air column, it would be
the long rod, not the short rod.  The scrub angle on a short rod will
increase the side loads on the piston and increase the wear on the rings
and cylinders.  In general, the longer dwell time at TDC helps with
combustion efficiency and gives a better "push" on the rod during the
stroke.  Long rod engines tend to be more efficient than short rod
engines.  Of course, as you make the rods longer, they have to get heavier
due to the increased beam length.  It also makes the whole engine taller
and heavier.  Like everything else, there is a happy compromise that you
have to find for YOUR application.

Clint