Throttle-by-Wire

Asylist chevynova at peoplepc.com
Wed Jan 23 01:50:42 GMT 2002

> Or do you mean publicly admit to it?.
> If the lose of adhesion helps a car go faster, then there are
> other issues.
> In talking oems most deactivate at 35 or 40 MPH.

With most of my experience being on the dragstrip, I'll speak there first.
I can consisitently get ETs by getting some wheelspin out of the hole.  This
way I can keep the engine in the power band when launching.  Its kind of
like a poor-mans high stall converter.  Yeah, you're right, there are other
issues.  Like not being able to afford to dedicate a car to the strip, and
setting it up properly.  I'm stuck with a dual purpose car.  By definition,
TC eliminates wheelspin.  Many times this will result in bogging the engine,
and little power off the line.  I've seen extremes by as much as a full
second in 1/4 mile times between TC on and off.  There are similar issues on
a roadcourse-a little bit of a powerslide helps to keep the RPMs and
momentum up.  Unless you have gobs of power available, with high grip race
tires, slowing down enough to prevent the tires from losing traction could
result in adding a good amount of time to the lap times.  Most factory TC
systems just aren't designed for quickest track times.  They are designed
for maximum control on the street.

Eric Klos, Chesterfield Twp, MI   www.geocities.com/asylist
1989 Saab 900, project car-goal 200HP naturally aspirated (in storage, bad
trans) "Saab-They're not for everyone"
1989 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2L Turbo (daily driver)
1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z with an NA motor :( parts car
as listed in my Livejournal interests-"beating up on V8s with my turbo 4
cylinder", :)