Propane vs diesel

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Tue Jan 29 00:04:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

Following a recent trip to the states have decided that I have to get a
bigger vehicle for when we head off with the kids. Within the restrictions
set by the distaff it would appear that a day van would avoid divorce. These
are fairly plentiful in the UK, if a tad expensive for a nice one. Anyway,
then there is engine choice, turbo diesel or gas guzzler.

Here in UK diesel is now $4.10/USG, petrol slightly less. Propane is
$2.16ish. So assuming the oil burner will return around 20MPG and an SBC
around 12 (we cruise faster than 55) would it make sense to look for a small
block with propane conversion, or is the diesel still a better bet. And is
forced induction suitable for the venerable 5.7l push rod for a high torque
app.

NB funds are such that whatever I buy is likely to need an engine
rebuilt/replacement opening the way for all sorts of options, hence the
question. I need a V8 in my life and I'm not allowed the 75Trans AM with
397ci I was offered on saturday.

rgds

Bill