Knock sensing and retarding ignition

Huw Scourfield huw.scourfield at lineone.net
Wed Jan 30 18:40:31 GMT 2002

When I built my system based on the 16f877 I merely used a single transistor
as a buffer between the bosch module and the pic, no problems with this at
all. If going to the trouble of using a pic why not design a complete
ignition system? Do away with the dizzy altogether. Mine used a reluctor
dizzy (metro) with the PIC detecting the zero crossing directly(it wasn't
happy at low cranking speeds, needs some amplification IMHO), the pic
calculated the correct spark timing based on load/speed and drove the bosch
module(single, hence the dizzy was retained). Beware working in
useconds/mseconds when dealing with petrol engines, engines work in degrees,
you really need to convert processor time to engine degrees if you want
repeatable delays at all engine speeeds. If you want more info get back
to me and I'll dig it out.
    Huw