new list policy regarding projects

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Wed Jan 30 22:05:19 GMT 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:51:25 -0600 steve ravet <sravet at arm.com> writes:
> Projects that don't adopt a GNU license are considered to be
> commercial projects subject to the list rules regarding commercial
activity.

Sad, but I suppose inevitable given the present moral climate. I'm a
little puzzled why you didn't also post this to the efi332 list.

Perhaps it's because if you do, it will dawn on people that Megasquirt
will either have to adopt a GPL license, or be considered commercial. If
the former happens, that means anyone can copy their board design and
sell them assembled for profit if they wish. That's what the GPL allows,
you know. I wonder how BruceB & AlG are going to feel about that? :)

Perhaps I misunderstood the portion of their FAQ at:
        www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirtfaq.html
that goes like this...

>"Q: Can I sell your system or market it commercially without letting you
know about it?
> A: Yeah, right. My lawyers are better than your lawyers..."

Like they say, "be careful what you wish for".

BLM