Building a Flow bench

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Thu Jan 31 19:42:55 GMT 2002

944Technologist wrote:

> I have been thinking about this project for years and always intended to use
> a leaf blower. I still need a meter. I looked up the specs on the leaf
> blower that I have and it draws twice the air that I will require. A

Ah, but you are forgetting the other important variable, the
pressure ratio at which this flow occurs.  The leaf blower specs
are for free air on both sides of the turbine, which is probably
a pressure ratio of 1.2:1 or something really low.  When you
go to put it on a flow bench you want (iirc from a previous
post on this thread) about 25 in/Hg, or about 17 kPa absolute,
giving a pressure ratio across the turbine of about 6:1 or
higher; it just ain't gonna happen.

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA