DIY telemetry ... Re: [Diy_efi] tiny injection

Matt Donohoe donohoem at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jul 1 16:04:36 GMT 2002

PIC's are good, I have a few 16F877's here atm, but if you want somethin to
run REAL fast, dont use a basic compiler, the code tends to be a bit fat &
sweaty, if you wanna do it properly, learn asm, its not too hard just
requires a little extra brain power... if speed is not an issue, C all the
way if you already know it, or learn asm if your new... as for your line
about the hc11's... I just completed semester 1 of my 1st year of electrical
engineering and i learnt assembly on the 68hc11... it's still being taught
to this day... if you want to get a cheap development board for different
processors try www.futurlec.com and try under kits & devel boards....
anything from AT to PIC to HC11 development boards, I bought the hc11...

> I have used both the Microchip PIC uC's and Atmel AVR's. I dont do
assembly,
> so I use basic compilers.
> For the PIC I use Micro Engineering Labs PIC Basic Pro Compiler. Its easy
> use, and has good final code size/speed. the code syntax is 99% compatible
> with basic stamp code, but you'll be running MANY, MANY times faster!!(and
> way cheaper too!) My prefered PIC chip is the 16F877.
>
> I also use the Atmel AVR series. I realy like these better, they cost
less,
> and run faster due to the fact that they execute aprox 1 instruction per
> clock instead of one per 4 clocks on the PIC. I use the AtMega series
> running at 16Mhz. The compiler I use is FASTAVR. Its very easy to use, and
> has very compact/fast final code. I'd say its final code runs as fast as
> most average "C" compilers (but not quite as fast as the real high end
> stuff). I use the STK-500 programmer/development system which only costs
> 79.00! I prototype on a breadboard and use an ISP cable to download
programs
> as I write them. Development time is REAL FAST! Without too much effort I
> can get nice readings on the ADC down to about 10-20mV. I interface an LCD
> display on almost evrything I make and actuly use the display for most of
My