[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #139 - 14 msgs

Dan Zorde dzorde at erggroup.com
Tue Jul 2 00:45:05 GMT 2002

Well I can report the following practical experience first hand.  My
Chev350 always ran fine on 95 leaded (timing at 6 deg static) till the
day the West Australian government decided to ban leaded fuel, I tried
their 95 lead replacement fuel which kept fauling up the plugs and
introduced knocking like I've never heard before (had to retard timing
to 2deg static).  Even tried the super duper BP 98 unleaded, still
knocked (could get 4deg static with that).

Ended up putting a new set of heads on the engine and now run 8deg
static on 92 unleaded.

Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com

<Assuming the design features of your engine and the test engine are
<relative.   Some engines can be more prone to detonation on higher
octane
<fuels.   An octane number is only one guage of what's going on.   I
would
<venture that the higher the octane in racing fuels, the better.
<Bruce