[Diy_efi] O2 Sensor and Headers

Peter Foote pfoote at wightman.ca
Wed Jul 3 04:09:12 GMT 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C22225.E074CAC0

Hello;

The basic background. I'm working on a '747 throttle body set-up in my =
car. I just bought a 1-wire O2 sensor and I welded the bung for the O2 =
sensor in the exaust pipe right where it bolts onto the header. I =
basically went with the 1-wire since the I had the plug on the wire =
harness already but now think I need a heated sensor.

Did I do this wrong or do I need a heated sensor? The O2 sensor does =
read something when I look at the computer data but the car seems to =
de-tune itself. I've played with the fuel map and have one that runs OK =
(in the idle and part throttle) when the computer is first powered. But, =
after driving for a while, the car begins to surge (like 1000rpm at one =
throttle position) and run rough at part throttle. Is this just =
requiring further tuning or is the O2 sensor not hot enough to work =
right so it's feeding the computer bad info? Any thoughts you have would =
be great since I coundn't find much info on this in the archives.

If it does require a 3-wire heated sensor, which vehicles would have a =
3-wire sensor that I could get the plug from? Also, any suggestions on a =
3-wire sensor with 11/16" threads (I think they are all threaded that =
size) would be great.

The site and mailing lists were my inspiration to try this. I hope I =
learn enough I can help others here in the future. I want to do a port =
injected motor with a turbo or Paxton type blower eventually. I just =
know I don't want to with a carb.

Peter

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C22225.E074CAC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The basic background. I'm working on a =
'747=20
throttle body set-up in my car. I just bought a 1-wire O2 sensor and I =
welded=20
the bung for the O2 sensor in the exaust pipe right where it bolts onto =
the=20
header. I basically went with the 1-wire since the I had the plug on the =
wire=20
harness already but now think I need a heated sensor.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Did I do this wrong or do I need a =
heated sensor?=20
The O2 sensor does read something when I look at the computer data but =
the car=20
seems to de-tune itself. I've played with the fuel map and have one that =
runs OK=20
(in the idle and part throttle) when the computer is first powered. But, =
after=20
driving for a while, the car begins to surge (like 1000rpm at one =
throttle=20
position) and run rough at part throttle. Is this just requiring further =
tuning=20
or is the O2 sensor not hot enough to work right so it's feeding the =
computer=20
bad info? Any thoughts you have would be great since I coundn't find =
much info=20
on this in the archives.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If it does require a 3-wire heated =
sensor, which=20
vehicles would have a 3-wire sensor that I could get the plug from? =
Also, any=20
suggestions on a 3-wire sensor with 11/16" threads (I think they are all =

threaded that size) would be great.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The site and mailing lists were my =
inspiration to=20
try this. I hope I learn enough I can help others here in the future. I =
want to=20
do a port injected motor with a turbo or Paxton type blower eventually. =
I just=20
know I don't want to with a carb.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peter</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C22225.E074CAC0--